ECDC – European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control - UVZEN
Back ECDC – European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) was founded in 2005. It belongs to EU structures with the aim to strengthen European defence against infectious diseases. Its seat is in Stockholm, Sweden (www.ecdc.europa.eu/).
The mission of ECDC is identification, evaluation and notification of existing or emerging threats to human health coming from infectious diseases. ECDC actively cooperates with intrastate authorities for health protection all over the Europe with the aim to strengthen and develop supervision over the diseases and systems of early warning.
In 2010 Management Board of ECDC decided to appoint one respective authority in each member state to coordinate all official relations between ECDC and member state and its scientific and technical partners in member states.
A list of respective coordination authorities was approved in November 2011. Public Health Authority of the SR became a coordinating authority for ECDC for the Slovak Republic.
The mission of ECDC is to:
- search, gather, classify, evaluate and spread of scientific and technical data,
- provide expert consulting and scientific-technical help including education,
- provide timely information to European Commission, member states, to agencies of the Community and international organizations acting in the area of public health,
- coordinate creation of European nets of subjects acting in framework of ECDC mission, including nets originating from public health activities supported by European Commission and specialized surveillance nets,
- exchange of information, experience and proven procedures.
Representatives of Public Health Authority and regional public health authorities are present as national coordinators in different areas of ECDC mission:
- health promotion,
- epidemiological information system, European epidemiological system Tessy,
- immunization, vaccination rate and unwanted reactions after vaccination,
- legionella in living environment,
- system of early warning and reaction.